Learn how we use fair trade to create life-changing work around the world.
At Threads Worldwide, we believe fair trade is a verb. Fair trade is how we do business. Fair trade is also a movement changing lives around the world!
In a world where over one billion people — that’s 1 in 7 people! — live on less than $1 each day, it becomes clear what a difference fair wages can make for people, families and communities. Fair trade promotes fair wages, healthy working conditions, and a sustainable environment for both workers and the planet. A fair wage is a livable income in the local context that does not skew the local economy, but accounts for time, skills, cost of living, and purchasing power.
Fair Trade Principles
We follow the Fair Trade Federation’s Fair Trade Principles in how we partner with artisan cooperatives around the world.
- Create opportunities for marginalized producers
- Be transparent and accountable
- Build capacity and independence for partners
- Promote fair-trade and the benefits on the global economy
- Pay partners promptly and fairly
- Support safe and empowering working conditions
- Ensure that children are protected and have the right to security, education and play
- Encourage environmentally sustainable practices
- Respect cultural identity by balancing market needs with cultural heritage
At Threads, we are working towards the day that fair trade is so common that it is the products that are not made with fair trade principles that are labeled. How would you shop if you saw the words ‘made with slave labor’ on your clothing or fruit?